Irobot 710 Kobra

Hi ptp, thank you very much for your concern.

I had figured that this was one of these cameras and that's why it's never running through its app and its power source is shut down at all times but when I'm using the robot. Also I don't have any port open on my router so when I need to connect remotely I use and encrypted vpn. I'm not using their default settings. Usually what I do with these cameras is connect to them using Onvif device manager which allows you to check pretty much all the cameras settings, including default subnet and any outbound connection. Now I figured that since it's working using a manually set local ip address it shouldn't be too much of a problem, should it?

@elfege,

Quote:

Also I don't have any port open on my router

Not opening a port in your router per see does not avoid the camera to call home and send data or open a port hole in your router (nat transversal). Some "intelligent" routers have upnp active, basically helps the software to open temporary ports.

Quote:

manually set local ip address it shouldn't be too much of a problem, should it?

if you want to be sure:

1) get a another wifi router for your home
2) setup a new network (different lan addresses)
3) different wifi password
4) no WAN connection (Internet provider)

Then you connect the safe/unsafe devices to that network and you can switch wifi network on phones or laptops when you need or you can have a device (desktop) connected to both networks.

This is my setup...

If one gadget connected to the "safe" network gets out to the internet, I'll call him Houdini Smile

upnp is never active on my router Smile Nor ping on wan, nor wan control, nor anything going out without going through encrypted vpn set up at the router level directly (great security features on ASUS routers btw). I get that the only safe way is to connect on a different router with no wan connection whatsoever though. I have the extra hardware to do just that. I'll think about it.

Thank you

PS: any news / pictures on how to replace arms' motors with servos? Not talking about the wiring per se but about how to place them properly. When I looked into it I kind of lost courage, fearing to break everything. Usually when I mess with gearing I face impossible reassembly... Grin

Does anyone know how to capture/record the video? I am using a MotoG4 phone with Android to view the video. I am a complete nubie so please don't assume that I know anything.