Award
Congratulations DJ Sures, for answering the question and has received an EZ-Credit award! Share what you have learned and create a tutorial to help others by clicking here.

Arduino/duinotech 8x8 Led Matrix

Assistance Requested

Help stevep with their question and receive $10 of EZ-Credit to get more robots and parts from our store. The following information was provided about their previous efforts searching tutorials for a resolution.

stevep claims to have checked these sources:

Hi, I'm new to Ez Robot and new to this forum.

Here in Australia, we have a electronics suppler called Jaycar who supply an Arduino equivalent called " Duinotech"

My question is: Can you use Arduino/Duinotech 8x8 led matrix with the ezb4 and how, as the Duinotech 8x8 has 5 pins

VCC
GND
DIN
CS
CLK

Protocol is SPI ( Shift-Register )
Chipset is MAX7219
Led colour is Red

Could someone help me please with how to connect the pins to the ezb4, and how to add it to ez builder.

Sorry for the dumb question

Many thanks
Steve

I have found a few conversations, tutorials and activities that may help with your question. Take a look at these links. I've sorted them by what I believe to be most relevant but that is not always the case as I'm still learning.

Also, consider reviewing the Learn section for informative lessons and activities. Check it out!

Looks like it's i2c. Check the datasheet and use the i2cwrite commands from ezbuilder. It'll be easy Smile

Have you read the datasheet yet?

If I were you, I'd wait for the ezrobot rgb8x8 because it's supported directly.

Hi Dj,

tthanks for responding

All Jaycar provides is the following

"A 64 Red LED matrix, this module is easily controlled with the Led Control library. Display your own custom characters, or use multiple modules together to make a scrolling display.

• Operating Voltage: 5VDC
• Protocol: SPI (Shift-Register)
• Chipset: MAX7219
• LED Colour: RED
• Dimensions: 62(W) x 32(H) x 14(D)mm"

so not a lot of info, only that it is suppose to be the same as the Arduino equivalent?

Can you help me with what pins to attach to which on the ezb4?

pins on the led matrix
VCC
GND
DIN
CS
CLK

thanks heaps

That is not enough information. A datasheet will explain what commands that the display requires. You will have to find a datasheet.

As for connecting it to the ezb. It's i2c. So you will need to connect it to one of the three i2c ports.

I'll warn you now - that product does not look very easy to use.

Thanks DJ
I won't be purchasing from Jaycar again.
Thanks for your time

If you do, consult us here by seeing if they have a datasheet.

Have you seen the ez-robot rgb 8x8 display? It's way cooler anyway - and it's RGB which means color Smile

It will be on this website for purchase in about 1.5-2 months. You can see a preview of it in the friday the 13th video that i did a while ago

It's way cooler Grin

Yep, that looks great.

I'll will certainly be getting that.
By the way, i'm new to ez robot and I just love it.

Im having a great time just experimenting around with it.

Thank for such a great product.

Thank you for the kind words, Steve Smile

Thanks for your help