Interface Ez-b To A Trossen Robotics Hr-os1 Biped Robot

My HR-OS1 HR-OS1 robot (Oscar) is connected to my laptop through a Windows 'Putty terminal' via WiFi. It has it's own IP address.

The operating programs are open sourced C++, the platform is Linux.
The controller is an Intel Edison interfaced to an Arbotix-Pro sub controller that drives the AX-12 Dynamical servos.
There is a PS3 controller that uses Bluetooth to send commands.

I am not very proficient in C++ or Linux but, with help, I stumble along.

Is there a way to connect EZ-B4 to the Intel Edison through WiFi?

I suppose I could connect via a Bluetooth-to-UART and utilize the PS3 controller commands but that would be very limiting.

A USB to UART connection might work but the Edison has very limited USB connections and to date, there is no supporting code for that.

Replace the intel edison board with the ez-b?

Otherwise, use the UART on the EZ-B and ask for assistance on the Trossen forum for assistance using their C++ libraries on how to create a "UART listener" in their framework.

DJ,

The Trossen path is a bit limited. They don't have a "DJ" to help customers out.
They do have a very active users forum but most of the questions/answers are very specific or way over my head.

I may have to go a step further. I'm thinking of replacing the Intel Edison/Arbotix-Pro with a Robotis CM-530. It controls all of the robots servos and the supporting software provides a friendly GUI for the development of task scripts and robot poses.

I have already made a UART interface between EZ-B4 and the CM-350.

You can mark this "resolved by DJ".

Thank you.

Why not use an ezb? It controls those servos with this plugin: http://www.ez-robot.com/EZ-Builder/Plugins/view/39

Have any plans for the intel edison?

If your planning on scrapping it I would be glad to pay the shipping for it.

DJ,

I thought that I would have to give up the Robotis GUI interface to develop and control the robot's movements. There are 8 walking movements and 20 other actions already programmed in.
However, I think I will try to interface the EZ-B directly to the AX-12 servo chain.
(I might want to read from the chain for things like servo temperature, etc. later.)

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. It will be a bit of a learning curve to set up the initial Autoposition settings, frames, and actions, but the simplicity and added capabilities should be worth it.

I have already added the EZ "hands" to the HR-OS1. I'll replace the WebCam with an EZ Cam.

Again, thanks.

@orwnic82,

I'll keep the Intel for a while. It is a powerful controller.

DJ,

An earlier version of EZ Builder referenced servos as D0, D1, D2,... AX1, AX2, AX3,...
Now there is only D0... and V0...

Must I change all my servos (D1 through D18) to V1 through Vi8?
How do I do that ?

Is there a way to read servo positions?

Thanks.

The Dynamixel Servos are now supported by a plugin. DJ made it as an example plugin and made it open source.

Here is the link http://www.ez-robot.com/EZ-Builder/Plugins/view/39

Alan

Thanks, Alan.
I have installed the plug in, reviewed it's documentation. I have also created a Auto Position script with 20 servos positioned and ready to number.