Hello all, heres my latest addition to the XLR series. This was a commission project for a customer here in Fort Lauderdale. He wanted a large scale arm with multiple point of movement as well as strength and he also wanted it to look cool. I present the XLR-HD Robot Arm.

It has 5-points of movement

The joint system is powered by tandem HD Robot Servos in each joint
running at 6v. They rotated at 90 degrees in each direction.
The wrist had a 180 degree of rotation.

The Base houses the EZ-B V4 controller in a slide out compartment keeping
all wires out of view. The base rotates 90 degrees in each direction.

Options: A 7" android tablet housing clips on the rear of the base to control
the robot arm via the EZ-Builder app.

The base has 4 x large support legs which can be mounted to a desk or work bench for added stability.

Designed to be LITE Weight yet Strong. Prints at 10% infill with a custom infill pattern to reinforce each printed part.

This build is in production mode( being printed) and will be added to the XLRobots website this week.

Get your Iron Man fix with the XLR-HD Robot Arm.

Dimensions: Arm fully extended 29"

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

29" long arm, roughly looks about 2" long tabs on the base (by eye), you don't think that'll topple over or any bolts that hold it down won't rip through the PLA?

I really appreciate Anthony's enthusiasm and enjoy seeing his creations.

Rich,

I think he knows the arm has a very narrow work envelope without a larger base or use of the optional mounting he mentions in his description. Wouldn't a well design mounting plate with large diameter washers supporting the bolt head take care of any rip concerns?

QQ Anthony,

Is a wire management system incorporated into the print?

Are the visible 'covers' also the structural members?

What is the load bearing capacity at full extension?

I cannot speak for Anthony but when I work in 3D Max the idea is to put forth a general visualization of the product. I think he did that well.

@Rich, you seem to be into CAD which makes sense that you would ask the question about the base mounting.

Artists and engineers. God bless each of them because we need both.

I know Anthony appreciates my posts pointing out possible flaws which is why I continue to do so.

I view most of Anthony's 3D stuff as concepts which need refinement and engineering input. Think of it this way, it's an interior designer saying "this is how it's going to look" where an engineer comes along and says "ok but what about this" or "that would need slight alteration here to accommodate that".

A mounting plate may be the answer, there are a few solutions which would work if being bolted directly through those tabs didn't work. I like to make people think and learn for themselves and this has shown in Anthony and more specifically his XLR-One's evolution. However like in his XLR-One's evolution it's never just a case of "that wont work" it's a case of "that wont work, have you thought about this".

I also like these things to be publically discussed so that others who are entering the awesome world of robotics can see them, follow them and learn from them.

Just to reiterate, nothing I post is ever to put anyone down or any idea down, it's to get the mind working and improve on the end result. If this is not something which the community is comfortable seeing then I'll happily cease to provide the constructive criticism and focus my time elsewhere however it is a benefit to all when these things are explained publically and in the long term will aid in concepts becoming working products.

@rich. Thanks for the input. The base is bolted to the table and the base feet are printed at 100% infill. The bolt holes were not in the render shown. There is a washer used with the bolt to secure the bolt and make a solid bond.

@orange Joe yes the wires are routed through the inside of the arm itself which lead back to the ezb v4. Only wire shown is the power cord which connects in the back to the ezbv4.

@Pacowang... I would love to buy 3D max... But I would have to sell my motorcycle in order to afford it.... Frown . I know you suggested blender but man does that have a seriously steep learning curve... *eek*

@ Richard R, actually I think the learning curve for Blender is as steep as 3D Max. I've been using 3D Max since the 90's when it came out as 3D Studio (I think that was the original name)

I don't blow sunshine up any body's skirt, take this for what it's worth. Seeing everything you have done (at least what you posted) you are more than smart enough to pick it up and doing serious work in a week.

Don't sell the bike! I sold my Victory last September and if I was a man that could cry, I would be bawling like a baby right now.

Ok, I hear ya' @Pacowang... I'll start crunching blender... oooohh cringe... Tongue and the bike stays then... Now if Ontario, Canada ever get's it summer back I might be able to ride.... Smile