Astromech Droid

How did you make the cutouts on the dome.I also used a large security dome.Not easy to make nice even openings.

@rb550f the larger round hole was from a 1.5" hole saw drill where i had to go super slow ensuring not to chunk out the plastic. the rectangular holes are actually just cut using a dremel and cut off wheel. it was very time consuming I wish I had a better way to cut them..

ok so I've made some progress on my droid! Although its not a lot of progress I am still pretty pleased with it... I am trying to make whatever I can myself so it took some testing to get the LED's how i wanted.

This is the light that transitions from blue to red in the front of the droid. The LED's were originally clear but I did not like how you could see the individual LED's behind the fogged cover. I used a krylon matte finish paint and fogged the led's until i got the desired effect i was looking for Smile The base is 3d printed and the fogged screen is a piece of cutting board that i cut and mounted to the mount. I also added some aluminum tape on the inside of the bezel to distribute the light more evenly.

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

Also here is a video of 2 out of the 4 logic displays that will be mounted in the dome of my droid

Way awesome , great job!

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

I had a little bit of time today and decided to mount the PSI light bezel and the 3rd logic display Smile

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

PSI's are all mounted and am now finishing up the last Logic display. next on the list is motorizing the dome and attaching it to the frame Smile

I have a few pictures to update my thread!

I have completed and taped up the shoulders as well as mount the rockler to the frame Still need to figure out a good way to mount the main dome to the riser though... I would like to be able to take it apart so I cannot simply glue it in place as I originally planned to do!

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

R7 is looking quite comfortable in the corner of my room as I am now working on finishing up the legs and ankles. soon he'll be sort of standing lol

User-inserted image

Aaron

Wow... It's coming along nicely....

thank you @Richard R I am trying to get as much done as I can for Star Wars Celebration this April at the Anaheim Convention Center Smile