Award
Congratulations Rich, for answering the question and has received an EZ-Credit award! Share what you have learned and create a tutorial to help others by clicking here.

Uartwrite Question?

Assistance Requested

Help Richard R with their question and receive $10 of EZ-Credit to get more robots and parts from our store. The following information was provided about their previous efforts searching tutorials for a resolution.

Richard R claims to have checked these sources:

Trying to send the below code via serial to my SSC-32 servo board to test servo movement... it gives me an error because $pw is greater than 255 (max for a byte which I do understand)... It's probably me not getting it, but how do I send numbers greater than 255?

This is the error "Error on line 6: Value was either too large or too small for an unsigned byte."

Code:

$pw=1000
$m =2500
UARTInit(0,1,9600)
:start
$pw=1000
UARTWrite(0,1,"#0P",$pw,"T",$m,13)
sleep(2500)
$pw=2000
UARTWrite(0,1,"#0P",$pw,"T",$m,13)

sleep(2500)
Goto(start)

I have found a few conversations, tutorials and activities that may help with your question. Take a look at these links. I've sorted them by what I believe to be most relevant but that is not always the case as I'm still learning.

Also, consider reviewing the Learn section for informative lessons and activities. Check it out!

Bearing in mind I've not used the UARTWrite function yet nor the SCC32 but...

Have you tried;

Code:

UARTWrite(0,1,"#0 "+$pw+" T "+$m,0x0D)

In other words, having the whole "#0 1000 T 2500" part sent in one go rather than piece by piece.

Note, I prefer to use hex for ascii characters hence the 0x0D rather than the 13 for a carriage return. 13 may work fine.

Also, are you missing the "P" so should it be

Code:

UARTWrite(0,1,"#0 P "+$pw+" T "+$m,0x0D)

or with your code

Code:

UARTWrite(0,1,"#0", "P",$pw,"T",$m,13)

Edit: I guess you edited before I finished typing and added that P in Smile

Suggestion #2... change

$pw = 1000

to

$pw = "1000"

I'll have a proper look tomorrow but I need sleep, just thought I'd throw a couple of ideas at you before I head up though (it's also an insight in to how I guess at things if I don't know.

Crap.... you're a genius Rich... this worked...

Code:

UARTWrite(0,1,"#0P"+$pw+"T"+$m,13)

Cheers and thanks.... Smile

This now works....

Code:

$pw="1000"
$m ="2500"
UARTInit(0,1,9600)
:start
$pw="1000"
sleep(2500)
$pw="2000"

sleep(2500)
Goto(start)

Awesome Smile

Just out of curiosity, why not use SendSerial? Not that it makes much of a difference (in fact, I don't even know what the difference would be other than the command used and it's syntax).

No reason, just got used to using the Uart commands when I was messing with my iRobot Create.... kind of a habit now... I guess I could just go back to sendserial....

Cheers

Can you use the Sendserial command on Uart 0 port of V4?

You have to specify the Digital port when using the SendSerial command. Don't know which d port is associated with UART 0.

Uart 0 is the regular Uart port located on the lower right side. Not one of the digital ports.

User-inserted image