Ax-12a Servo Actuator From Robotis Will It Work With Ez-b?

looking to finish LeXI up and wanted to give her the right power so she will run flawlessly. wanting to know if these will work with ez-b and what if any, extra's I need for it to work.

User-inserted image

Hello, these servos use a serial ttl connection so one can be controlled by every digital port on ezb. To utilize the features you will need a custom script set to read the temp , position feedback and rate of the servo. Regular servos just receive a pwm signal and move to the desired point. You can absolutely use the dynamixel servos but ask yourself if you will utilize those features otherwise you will have more effort to do what a RC servo could do. There are 20 dollar servos with the same torque rating at lower power is why I say that.

@jstarne1 josh I also saw them on the LOKI build. he uses them on the elbow like I am doing, doubled just the same. I thought they were better as quality,and power(torque). give me a good recommendation for a powerful servo that can handle the task of the elbow with out any trouble. Price to be under $50 ea. if possible. I had 9 of the 20 mg995 die out in the first few minutes of use. the seller is replacing them but im not too happy with them anymore,will only use for moving wrist and fingers and other light work.

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1048

50 bucks pololu.com high torque digital servo power HD

They don't have ratings for 7.4 volt but this is a servo made for RC Trucks that need a lot of Torque and constant holding power. It's right in your price range. Anything else stronger will be about 99 per servo

@jstarne1 ok that one looks ok, let me ask you, how does the other one work (dynamixle one)? what are the benefits compared to a regular servo? what's so special about them? I see them used are hi-end biped's like Darwin.

HS-5585 hitec servo , it's a bit more in price but they come with a 2 yr
http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-5585mh_servo.html

There are benefits to being able to get feedback. Feedback indicates the level of resistance the servo has moving. When walking for example the biped robot can step forward and "feel" the floor when it touches and begin shifting it's weight. Not all floors are level. They may be uneven or on an incline. That allows the robot to adjust the movement when stepping. Also lets say while walking the robot stubs it's toe. The feedback indicated resistance and now the robot knows there is a object in front of it's foot. The same feedback sensitivity can be used in a gripper so as it closes it receives feedback from the resistance that there is an object in the grippers. There are many uses. The temperature is just for protection from servo damage if it overheated. Generally that shouldn't happen if the servos are not overloaded so temp is not a important feature. Lastly the servo offers angle feedback which can be used to indicate if the servo is in the position you set it to be. The only practical use I have seen for the angle feedback is recording movements by physically manipulating the arm or leg ect and then using those recorded movements for a script for those servos to repeat later.

I ordered one - i'll see what I can do to add input support

@Dj , Awesome as always , Thanks.