Award
Congratulations Steve1DH, for answering the question and has received an EZ-Credit award! Share what you have learned and create a tutorial to help others by clicking here.

Where To Mini Hydraulic Shocks For Arm Support?

Assistance Requested

Help Anthony XLRobots.com with their question and receive $10 of EZ-Credit to get more robots and parts from our store. The following information was provided about their previous efforts searching tutorials for a resolution.

Anthony XLRobots.com claims to have checked these sources:

As you may have seen my HD-7 arm in my thread. Im using a spring to assist the servo when lifting the hand/forearm up. spring works fine but I like the look of hydraulic shocks. any one know where I can get my hands on some?

User-inserted image

I have found a few conversations, tutorials and activities that may help with your question. Take a look at these links. I've sorted them by what I believe to be most relevant but that is not always the case as I'm still learning.

Also, consider reviewing the Learn section for informative lessons and activities. Check it out!

Have you looked at hobby shops that sell R/C race cars? Particularly the off-road stuff? I am sure I have seen small functional shocks on the wheel sets of R/C all terrain vehicles.

Alan

off-road shocks, 1/8 scale size, might be long enough but could cost quite a bit...

judging from the size of your robot you could possibly also look into rear tunk hydrolics for cars

User-inserted image

something like this?

i found some cheap 1/8 scale shocks made by my sponsor Team Associated. you can buy a pair for $20 and a set of 8 for $75. I'm not sure on length but this is a cheap option considering you can change the oil, dampening, and springs easily

User-inserted image

Hi, this is my first reply (been watching the site for a while).

An RC shock might not work in the configuation that @aameralis is showing because shocks with springs push back, not pull. You would either have to put the shock at the back of the arm (to use with no mod.) to push the elbow to bend or rebuilt the shock to have the spring in side the piston chamber so it retracts (like a single action pneumatic piston with a spring return).

Steve

edit- This shows the back of the arm push (sort of)
User-inserted image

edit2- Single action piston

User-inserted image

I agree with above. He beat me to it. Smile

In fact, won't a shock actually give resistance in both directions, just more in one? You may want to continue using a spring to assist with the lift, but fabricate it in such a way as it looks like a shock, just without actually providing any dampening (maybe two diameters of PVC pipe that telescope into each other, with the spring around the smaller one providing the compression tension).

Alan

Im thinking of a compressed gas type like on lift assist units on trunks and car hoods.

Like this one. Except it is too much lift I think. On second thought, maybe not. If you look at the C3PO as an example, there is a lot of mechanical disadvantage to overcome. So more lift would be needed anyway. Once you know the total arm weight and the center of balance, it will be a snap to figure the length the attachment behind the elbow needs to be.

User-inserted image

Adding to Alan's suggestion, you could look at the spring mechanism used on screen doors that protect them from flying all the way open. Hide it in PVC to look like a piston. Essentially like Steve said in his Edit#2.