Ez-robot R2d2 Telephone Conversion.

I was going through my boxes of collectibles in my basement, looking for star wars stuff for my 7 yr old son who is now hooked on Star Wars. When I was going thru the 8 boxes of stuff i came across my r2d2 telephone. Its really cool with sounds lights and head rotation and is a nice size too. I figured why no add a ez-b to him and make programmable and mobil at the same time. lord knows I don't have any phone jacks in my house to use the phone anyway. So im off to order my ez-b and this will be project # 2.
User-inserted image

Nice Smile What size is he?

HE'S 12" TALL X 7"X7". NICE SIZE AND DETAILS.

Well I couldn't wait so I took my r2 unit apart.glad I did because the treasure I found is awesome. Most r2 units are made with him in the traditional angle with all 3 wheels down.this little guys legs are movable! So I think I'm gonna make him able to retract the center leg and hop and wobble like he did when ownen picked him out from the jawas. Pics below show the details.
User-inserted image

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

@aameralis, Boy that one is a collectable, you may want to do someresearch on it value before you start hacking at it. I have not seen one of those in years.

I know. On eBay $100.00

pick up these micro servos for r2's upgrade. they will help with his head and legs and center leg as well.

User-inserted image

User-inserted image

Be aware those servos are very weak if working against gravity.

Yeah I can back up @Rich on this one, I had 6 of these hacked into my Optimus prime bot for moving his limbs and after a little while I had one of them burn out. Also had one burn out on a Voltron Helmet I made as well (I guess I should share that project one day). I also hacked a couple for continuous rotation and had both of them fail after a few days of use as well.

These servos are usually a great price (also rebranded as hextronix hxt900) but unfortunately they don't seem to last for long under load, I believe the control electronics bite the dust after being stressed for a little while. I am actually waiting for some servo replacements at the moment that I ordered from Robotshop, we'll see how they fair.