Project Armadeus

This is so cool!

Wow ,.that is a really big robot , is he small enough to navigate your.home?

Folks, thanks for all the favorable comments. I hope the pictures and text are providing the right level of detail to those following this thread. Considering the diverse audience, it's difficult to know where to draw the line. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

With the arms down by its sides the robot is about 26" wide at the shoulders and easily navigates though a normal doorway. Obviously, I have to severely restrict its speed indoors. A 100+ pound robot rapidly accelerating (F=ma) can do a lot of damage in a very small period of time, as demonstrated by some unplanned modifications I made to a plastic shelving unit in my basement.

The Mk7 is actually one of the smallest members of the ARMadeus family. An earlier Mk3 model was nearly 6 feet tall, weighed 165 pounds and, was prone to face plants if its speed and direction changed suddenly. It was much less modular in nature and never spent much time outside of my basement. More than anything else these robots provide an opportunity to improve my design and construction skills, allow me to explore multiple areas of science and engineering and, create something truly unique. All of my robots have a very short lifespan. Almost as soon as the current version is completed, I start thinking about improvements and modification for the next one. Mmm...What could I do with a second EZ-B?

Lol , second ezb , twice as much as the first. My 3ft tall robot Jarvis is using two boards. All the sensors and motors control on the first and all the neck and arm servos on the second. This la my very first robot so I learn from.pictures and descriptions of them. My thread is like 185 pages of discussion and pics of mods and no one is complaining so take as many as possible =)

Jim Milan: your work is spectacular, feel free to add a video or many videos from your robot in motion, I'm sure that will be pleasing to all. Smile

Oh yes , videos for sure. Show us how it works

Looks like it could survive a building collapsing on it - one tough looking robot..

WOW

Very impressive Jim!
Great work.
Do I count 6 motor controllers?
I'm still saving for just 1 Sabertooth 2x25 ... lol
Being retired has some advantages (more time for robots) and disadvantages (a lot less funds).

Question:
It looks to me the front wheels are stationary.
How does it turn?

Really looking forward to seeing this one in a video.

Herr

Herr,

Yes, 6 physical motor controllers. The sabertooths are dual for a total of 8 individual controllers. There are 2 drive motors and 6 linear actuators that need motor speed control. One smaller motor for the left hand gripper is controlled by a relay. 4 servos handle the rest of the movement functions.

The robot uses front wheel drive. The two front drive motors have a common keyed shaft that comes out both sides of the motor's gearbox. A pair of wheels are mounted on keyed hubs that mate with the shafts. Driving the two drive motors in opposite directions along with the unpowered rear omni wheels allow the robot to turn easily.

I don't.understand how this guy.turns